Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Struggle of Being an ESL Teacher

   By: Liz

   English might be the primary language as many people would argue that is spoken in the united states, however there is way to many people in this world. A few people will even say things like "we are in America. You need to learn English." However in my defense there is many countries, and many different wide-spread languages. English is and will never be the only language people speak. There is traveling, migration, and even immigration. Therefore as I said, even if English was the first language or not it will never be the only language that is spoken in the United States.
   As I said there is cruel people who will dis, or think of someone as less because they don't speak any or fluent (well) English. However it's sad to think people think English should be the only language spoken here in English. People should spread their knowledge and learn different languages. It should be an honor to know more than one language not a bad thing.
http://www.amerika.org/wp-content/uploads/diversity_map.png
   To have English be your second language does not stop you from being an ESL teacher, however it will come with several challenges. I read the article 8 challenges for today’s ESL teachers (and how to handle them) and what I previously mentioned came up a lot. First off is the English immersion. I hate the fact that what I said previously is very true, and even as being an ESL teacher, they would go on and ask you to speak nothing but English to your students. This really will happens at times so maybe that is not the correct job for you or maybe you will have to adapt and follow the rules. Furthermore this might be very hard and upsetting, but at times as I said you will be left, looked at, and treated like nothing but an outsider. It's difficult, I know to be minority, to look different. but don't let them get in your head. You got your degree, your there now, and you know more than just one language. You are a step ahead, and have achieved a lot. Be proud of yourself and don't allow them to get in your head. Be the bigger person, and ignore the fact that they are just ignorant people.

work cited:
https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/8-challenges-for-todays-esl-teachers-and-how-to-handle-them/

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy that you wrote this article. Too many people have the mindset that English is the only language people should speak, which is entirely ridiculous. I definitely agree with you! Be proud of yourself for being able to speak more than one language! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking your time to type out this very nice comment! I am glad to hear that you agree with me!

    ReplyDelete

Synthesis Post

By: Laryia, Liz, Joe, and Lucas Photo Credit: GoodTherapy.org The fields of education and psychology are two very important subject...