Marriage has changed a lot in the past couple years. Before I feel was more emphasized and looked at as a promise made upon God. I feel as if it was a bigger fear to divorce, because they viewed marriage as a commitment for life as it was set to be viewed as. There is many more divorcement / single parenting going on now-a-days. This has an affect on kids and it's important to try and help, because as the teacher you spend like 8 hours with them, they are your kids too and you should always be there for them.
However for some reason teachers always asked me to leave my problems outside of the front doors when I walked in class. There was times where I wished it was that simple to just forget what was bothering me and have a peaceful regular day. However I do not personally agree with that, because sometimes we as human should understand that especially kids can't just leave that behind them. Sometimes they need our support, our help.
I think it's important that we know information about this, because at times we will have students in our class room who can't focus, who are sad, kids who need an adult in their life showing them some love and support, because they have family problems. 50% of the divorce cases have an involvement with children. I read the article "Helping Students Going Through Divorces" which is where I learned the new information on this.
It's important to keep in mind that it takes 1-2 years for a kid to get used to a new family system. To try and help them, begin the teacher you can make a safe space, where they can talk to you or even keep a journal that only you have access too. Also keep in mind that there is a set of 5 things you can do to help the student going through rough family problems, this includes:
- Discussion opportunities - hear them out
- Words of encouragement - be caring and accepting
- Communicate with parents - keep both parents in the loop
- Maintain structure and routine - make sure they follow a schedule
- keep a boundary - set limits
![]() |
| https://www.rd.com/advice/parenting/slideshow-13-things-your-childs-teacher-wont-tell-you/ |
http://www.teach-nology.com/teachers/parents/divorce/

No comments:
Post a Comment