![]() |
| Credit to: Vanderbilt University |
1.) Where you study is important.
We all make the mistake of sitting in the place that actually hosts the most distractions, which is most likely the bedroom or the kitchen. If you're in your dorm room, you have a television, laptop, phone, and in my case, three guitars all within ten steps. Studying should be done in a place that's quiet and distraction-free. Try going to the study lounge in the basement or in your parent's work office if you're at home. Turn off your computer, put your phone on silent, and close the door. If you're in a place where nothing can distract you, your focus is higher.
2.) Be confident!
If you open your notebook and think "Ugh, this exam is going to kill me", it might. Confidence is almost 100% of a factor into your grades for any assignment. If you come home and say "I have a test tomorrow and I have an essay due next week, but I feel great, I know I will do well", that gives you a huge mental boost. If you feel you're behind when you start, you will not catch up or even fall more behind.
3.) Don't procrastinate.
We are all guilty of this as well. Studying the morning of the exam or the night before is not the best idea. Your brain retains more information the more you look at your notes, so start it about four or five days before the exam date. That will give you the chance to get any notes you might have missed and start a small study group or go to the professor's office hours.
4.) Section the work and take breaks.
Studying for three hours at once seems impossible, but it can be done. A more modern approach is studying or working for an hour, taking a ten minute break, and repeating the process. Your brain will stay more focused if it can have a small break every now and then. Take a selfie, get a Gatorade or granola bar, pet your dog, or something else that can take your mind off of the assignment for a few minutes.
5.) Most importantly, sleep.
It's said the most, but it is also the most important thing you can do to achieve success. Sleep for at least eight hours a day and try not to go to bed after midnight. It can be tough if you have two exams in the same day, but sleeping is where your body resets itself. If you don't give it time for the batteries to recharge, you will not be fully focused. Rest is very important!
I'm guilty of doing all five, and it absolutely impacted my test results, along with homework. I have been doing better on my study habits and hoping I can turn it around this semester.
- Joe
Sources:
Dr. Grohol, John M. "10 Highly Effective Study Habits." PsychCentral, www.psychcentral.com/lib/top-10-most-effective-study-habits/, accessed 7 October 2017.

No comments:
Post a Comment