If one thing is for sure is that you will never truly learn everything from a textbook. I say this by experience. Everything is different when your hearing, seeing, and reading about then when you really are put in that situation. You can be told, you can practice, but nothing will ever truly prepare you for the real world. With everything you must have to go trough on in your own shoes, so you may capable of truly learning. Things like hearing about it, seeing it, or reading on it can obviously can be a huge help for you. Things like others experience, textbooks, videos can all be resource to help you prepare. It will help you prepare, but it will never help you know how to really 100% prepare. The real world can be true chaos that even when you do get some experience that still never means you will know how to react for every situation you are put on. Again even your own experience can help, but will never mean you are ready to take down any situation.
"Ready, Set, Teach!" Is a course that was offered at Weslaco High School. This course helped you prepare to become a teacher. It helped you end up getting certified as a substitute. Even they knew you can't learn it all from a text book. They took us to a different elementary school each semester. We did class work at the beginning to help you prepare, but we knew that wasn't enough. As everyone must have heard it's easier said than done, and I believe this saying works perfectly with this situation too.
I was a part of this "Ready, Set, Teach!" course. It allowed us hands-on experience where sure we went in an elementary class with some knowledge, but still had to go open minded. We had to know that different situations happen all different. We had to learn that everyone is different, so even if the same situation happened, you can't just do exactly what it is the textbook told you to do right away. You can't you know it all because a great article trained you.
Last semester I decided to take a special ed hands-on elementary class. Those are the picture I am sharing with you all. It was amazing. I loved the kids! But it was harder. I mean there was things where of course they are totally different because of their disabilities, but not only that. Things also had to be different because even though you might have great resources, you can't react to things the way the author on the textbook did, because it won't work out the same way. The teacher always told us if a kid is being distracting to just ignore them. In my class you couldn't really just ignore them. You had to talk to them. You had to approach the situation in a different matter.
work cited:
https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GTTG12.pdf


When I was in high school and middle school, kids in my classes would always ask the teacher, " So, when are we going to use this in the real world?" Sometimes the teacher wouldn't even know the answer. What ways do you think school can properly prepare us for the real world?
ReplyDeleteHonestly the only thing that I think can really prepare us is the real world itself. In other words, how I said just with real hands-on experiences and maybe by hearing others and their experience. Except that as I mentioned that is only a step and not 100% guaranteed to be the way you can handle things.
DeleteThis is a super interesting and cool experience! My school has something similar called buddies and I think that it is important to understand that not every situation is the same. Social work is my major and I aspire to work with kids in every aspect of life.
ReplyDeleteSame that is why I want to be a teacher, well elementary teacher. To work with kids, social work would be my alternative path though! Yes, it really is important. Honestly it truly was! Loved the experience!
Delete